Monday, April 20, 2009

Bad Day

I found out today that a mate from the UK has passed away.

He was 20 and died from complications related to cancer.

I’m a little bit numb from the news. I really don’t know how else to describe it.

Even though I only knew him for a short while, over the last few months, we chatted a lot and emailed a lot - almost daily. Despite what he was going though he was always positive and my role was to try and keep his mind off what he had to face every day in real life.

Don’t send me depressing emails, he told me once, obi-niv-wan, you’re my only hope.

It’s hard for me to express how close I felt to him, despite the fact that we lived on opposite ends of the world and across different timezones. He said at one point that I was like the older brother he never had. He was the younger brother I always wanted.

Chris made me appreciate life. He made me realise how short and fleeting it all is. He taught me the value of a good laugh and the meaning of courage. He was funny, witty, smart, caring and honest. He was one of the most beautiful people I’d ever met.

In a time when I was feeling detached and distant from the world around me, he’d managed to worm his way into my heart and make me feel again. And even though some of those feelings were of fear and worry and angst, it was only because he reminded me of friendship, and love and joy.

There’ll always be a part of me that will miss him.

Miss you, Chris. See you on the other side, mate.

2 comments:

Steevo said...

This is from Niv/Exalen I think.

Mr McCabbage said...

Lord Krishna: "Never the spirit was born, the spirit shall cease to be never. Never was time it was not, end and beginning are dreams. Birthless and deathless and changeless remaineth the spirit forever. Death has not touched it at all, dead though the house of it seems."